Tuesday, November 9, 2010

honk + wave

I was warned about the bad driving in Utah, but I had no idea they weren't exaggerating. I can always feel my blood pressure rise as soon as I get onto I-15. Just thinking about it gets me worked up. Only in Utah is it okay to take up two lanes at any given time. Only in Utah can you decide to go straight from a turn only lane, stopping everyone behind you at the green "turn only" light while you wait for the other light (which has two lanes, and no one else in them) to turn green. Oh, and you're blocking the turn lane to get onto the highway. Utah driving can best be defined as finding yourself in a high school parking lot, where everyone does exactly what they want to do. I could rant about it forever, but I'll share a couple of my favorite stories since I've been here:

  1. Driving down Center Street in Provo, someone backed out of a parking spot taking up both lanes, and just sat there talking to someone on the sidewalk. Did I mention the high school parking lot?
  2. While cruising over a hill going about 50 mph, the light ahead of me turned green, and my lane was empty. Just because they wanted to, someone cut me off in the middle of the intersection going FIVE miles per hour. This made me want to do more than just honk and wave (currently listening to Limbeck's "Honk + Wave" in case you couldn't tell).
  3. Of course, the greatest example of Utah traffic. By the way, I still can't accept enough people live here for there to even be any traffic. Getting onto the highway, before I even got to the very first exit, there were FOUR accidents, two on each side of the road, involving a total of fourteen cars. Honestly, people.
Also, I've had two rock chips in the last three days. So not only do I need to watch out for crazies, but I also need to avoid flying rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment