If you know me at all, you probably know I am a fully indoctrinated USC Trojan, and I am only slightly obsessed with USC football. I could talk your ear off about sanctions and the ridiculousness of the NCAA, but I understand most people who read my blog aren't very interested in that, and that kind of information is better suited for other blogs.
This last week my alma mater played our crosstown rivals, ucla. I laughed through most of it because it was so amazing, as you can see from the score. It's a little embarrassing to even call them our rivals, and even more embarrassing for them to call themselves a football team. Matt Barkley was a saint, per usual, and I loved completely demoralizing the team that will go on to play Oregon in the "Pac-12" championship game. As a little FYI, neither team ever had a lead against us this year.
Watching the comedy reminded me of an experience I had at the USC vs. ucla game my senior year in college, and I decided it had to be shared and documented.
To preface, I have to admit that USC student fans can sometimes be very brutal, especially among each other. My worst experiences always occurred with one of my friends, Shiloh. The worst ever occurred at this game.
My friend Dani and I found seats right behind Shiloh and a few of our other friends from church. Shiloh has his own opinions about the USC football team and who should be starting and who shouldn't be starting. Pretty often, his opinions differ from that of the head coach and the majority of the student body. When Shiloh yelled out for the back-up quarterback to play, he got quite a few angry comments from the intoxicated boys right behind Dani and me. Dani and I stood there awkwardly waiting for the moment to pass, and Shiloh just ignored them.
But it didn't pass.
They continued trying to get Shiloh's attention and making snide comments. When they realized Shiloh and I knew each other, they decided to start annoying me by pulling on my hair and blowing in my ear.
Are you serious? Are we in elementary school here?
As they kept talking smack about how "hard" they were and how they could fight anyone, Shiloh turned around right in time to see one of them pull on my hair. Totally calm, he said, "Excuse me, Parks." He stepped up into my row, and without hesitation punched one of the boys in the face. The boys who had been talking hard all night just sat around staring at Shiloh, while our other friends quickly got Shiloh out of the stadium before security came. Dani and I decided it would probably be a good idea to leave as well.
USC went on to win the game of course, scoring a touchdown in the last minute because the bRuins disrespected and decided to call a timeout when there was no way they were going to win the game.
Shiloh actually broke his hand, and I had to convince his wife, one of my good friends, that he did it in order to defend my honor.
In other news, I got married last week. If everyone isn't totally sick of my wedding, I'll try to post recaps and pictures. For now, here's a favorite...

ahaha oh my gosh!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I've been meaning to talk to you! What a beautiful bride! I hope all is going well, let's chat soon! And come visit LA!
yay cant wait for a big wedding recap and more pictures :-)
ReplyDelete