Saturday, October 27, 2012

freeze frame time

Texting Jen the other day...

Taylor: We had our first snow today.  Have y'all had snow in New York yet?
Jen: No snow here yet.  Did you have to go to work?
T: Yes, nothing shuts down here when it snows.  They're crazy.  I'm like, "Listen, I used to skip class if it was raining!"
...
J: Remember that time I dressed up for a snow storm when it was like 60 degrees out and drizzling?  New York weather has taught me how ridiculous that was.
T: Haha but apparently you still think I should have work off if it snows.  And I agree.
J: Well once from LA, always from LA.

I've been looking through pictures and I've found that I love the ones where I can see our apartment, or places that are and were important to me.  Like in my post from yesterday, that picture of Jen and me in our bathroom isn't the best one I had, but I love it because it tells a story.  All of our makeup and hair products are out on the counter, because we're getting ready to go out and have a fun night.  I love this picture of Jen because you can see our key holder and the bookcase with the book I found at the Office of Religious Life titled, "Mormons and Jews: Two Houses of Israel."  It was meant to be in our apartment.  On the table is my pink mini Christmas tree that I would put up before winter break and probably left up throughout the spring semester.  Sometimes when a random memory pops into my head, I get worried because the details of the apartment or the restaurant we were at are hazy.  I don't want to forget those details.
It makes me want to go home and take pictures of our apartment, mess and all, just for me.  Or the park we walk through to get to Temple Square.  I know that the camera never truly captures it the way your eyes do, but it's worth it to have those little mementos, to know that you were there, that you were living in that place, at that time.  That you lived.  A picture can be your proof.
via

I love this video that my roommate Natalie posted our last semester at USC.  Two of the cabinets and the refrigerator are open, and I love it because it's a little glimpse into our lives right then and there.  Just an ordinary day, but in the end that's what we sew together and make our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment